Article Index

Back Up

(1) To print on the second side of a sheet already printed on one side. (2) To adjust an image on one side of a sheet so that it aligns back-to-back with an image on the other side.

Base Art

Copy pasted up on the mounting board of a mechanical, as compared to overlay art. Also called base mechanical.

Base Negative

Negative made by photographing base art.

Basic Size

The standard size of sheets of paper used to calculate basis weight in the United States and Canada.

Basis Weight

In the United States and Canada, the weight, in pounds, of a ream (500 sheets) of paper cut to the basic size. Also called ream weight and substance weight (sub weight). In countries using ISO paper sizes, the weight, in grams, of one square meter of paper. Also called grammage and ream weight.


Usually in the book arena, but not exclusively, the joining of leafs or signatures together with either wire, glue or other means.


Usually a department within a printing company responsible for collating, folding and trimming various printing projects.


Category of paperboard ranging in thickness from 15 to 48 points.


Rubber-coated pad, mounted on a cylinder of an offset press, that receives the inked image from the plate and transfers it to the surface to be printed.


Printing that extends to the edge of a sheet or page after trimming.

Blind Folio

A page number not printed on the page. (In the book arena, a blank page traditionally does not print a page number.)

Blind Image

Image debossed, embossed or stamped, but not printed with ink or foil.


Sticking together of printed sheets causing damage when the surfaces are separated.


An enlargement, usually used with graphic images or photographs


Prepress photographic proof made from stripped negatives where all colours show as blue images on white paper. Because 'blueline' is a generic term for proofs made from a variety of materials having identical purposes and similar appearances, it may also be called a blackprint, blue, blueprint, brownline, brownprint, diazo, dyeline, ozalid, position proof, silverprint, Dylux and VanDyke.


A description or commentary of an author or book content positioned on the book jacket.

Board Paper

General term for paper over 110# index, 80# cover or 200 gsm that is commonly used for products such as file folders, displays and post cards. Also called paperboard.


The main text of work not including the headlines.

Boiler Plate

Blocks of repetitive type used and copied over and over again.

Bond Paper

Category of paper commonly used for writing, printing and photocopying. Also called business paper, communication paper, correspondence paper and writing paper.

Book Block

Folded signatures gathered, sewn and trimmed, but not yet covered.

Book Paper

Category of paper suitable for books, magazines, catalogs, advertising and general printing needs. Book paper is divided into uncoated paper (also called offset paper), coated paper (also called art paper, enamel paper, gloss paper and slick paper) and text paper.


The decorative design or rule surrounding matter on a page.


(1) A repeating registration problem in the printing stage of production. (2) Customer unhappy with the results of a printing project and refuses to accept the project.

Bristol Paper

General term referring to paper 6 points or thicker with basis weight between 90# and 200# (200-500 gsm). Used for products such as index cards, file folders and displays.


The term used to indicate work printed on one of a large sheet of paper.


A photographic print created on bromide paper.

Broken Carton

Carton of paper from which some of the sheets have been sold. Also called less carton.


The effect produced by dusting wet ink after printing and using a metallic powder.

Build a Colour

To overlap two or more screen tints to create a new colour. Such an overlap is called a build, colour build, stacked screen build or tint build.


Thickness of paper relative to its basic weight.


A dot or similar marking to emphasize text.

Burst Perfect Bind

To bind by forcing glue into notches along the spines of gathered signatures before affixing a paper cover. Also called burst bind, notch bind and slotted bind.

Butt Register

Register where ink colours meet precisely without overlapping or allowing space between, as compared to lap register. Also called butt fit and kiss register.

Buy Out

To subcontract for a service that is closely related to the business of the organization. Also called farm out. Work that is bought out or farmed out is sometimes called outwork or referred to as being out of house.